Malvan Marine Wildlife Sanctuary includes the Sindhudurg fort, Padamged island and other submerged rocks. The Malvan Marine Sanctuary is extremely rich in coral and marine life. Main wildlife attraction is black- headed gulls, terns, plovers, water- fowl, ducks, egrets. Coverage area is 29.22 sq.kms. Established in 1987.
This region was announced as a Marine Sanctuary on 13th April 1987.
Sindhudurg Fort and Padamged Island area
Core zone of 3.18 sq.kms
Buffer zone of 25.94 sq.kms.
Total area equal to 29.122 sq.kms.
Various flora (plant) found in the Malvan Marine Wildlife Sanctuary are:
- Mangroves Vegetation
- Coral Species
- Kadamba (Anthocephalus Cadamba), Awala (Emblica Officinalis), Neem (Azardirecta Indica), Palas (Butea Monosperma), Shisam (Dalbergia Latifolia), Moha, Acacia Spp, Hedu (Haldina Cordifolia), Jamun (Syzigium Cumini).
- Terrestrial region nearby sanctuary has various tree species like Terminalia Spp, Ficus sSp, Bija (Pterocarpus marsupium), Kate sawar (Bombax ceiba),
- Teak (Tectona Grandis), Dhawada (Anogeissus Latifolia), Kalam (Mitragyna Parviflora), Ain (Terminalia Tomentosa), Shirish (Albizia Lebbeck), Mango (Mangifera Indica), Acacia Ssp.
Various fauna(animal) species found in the Malvan Marine Wildlife Sanctuary are:
- Mollusks (Snail-like creature)
- Pearl Oysters (The one from which we get “Moti”)
- Polychaetes (Earthworm Like Specie)
- casuarinas plantations.
- Sea Anemones
- Commercial fish species like Labeo-Calbasu, Labeo-Rohita, Mystusseenghala (Singhada) and Tor Putitora (Mahsir), Labeo-Dero (Gid).
- Birds like Seagulls, Water Fowl, Plovers, Ducks, Egrets (Bagala in Marathi) & Terns are spotted in Malvan marine sanctuary region.
- Siberian migratory birds also flock here during the winter season.
- The terrestrial region nearbymalvan marine wildlife sanctuary has various wild animals like Leopards, Wild Boars, Nilgai, Barking Deer, & Sambars
Malvan is well connected by roads to the nearest cities like Mumbai, Panjim, Pune and Belgaum. State Transport & tourist buses are frequently available.
The nearest railway station from Malvan Sanctuary is Kudal. Kudal railway station is one of the main station of Konkan railway.
Goa airport is the closest airport to Malvan Marine Sanctuary. The distance between Airport & Malvan Sanctuary is about 145 kms.
October to March is the best time to visit.